Thursday 7 March 2013

Why do we wish on birthdays???


Before commenting do read the whole post... am not responsible for any misunderstanding you may have after reading this..

"Her birthday is on Jan the 5th.. I have to wish her at midnight... "

One day, I was just sitting idle (as usual) and thought that why people want to wish each other on birthdays?? That too, at midnight (not all but friends).
Someone once asked me (he was joking) - "Why do we even celebrate birthdays? We should be sad as there is now one year less to live.." That made me think... why do we get happy on our birthdays?? Is it the presents that people gift us, or that you are the center of attraction between all people who know you and as you pass, they wish you "HAPPY BIRTH DAY".. I thought that can not be the reason. I thought of things.. many things.. and found an answer that is satisfactory..
The icing and the cherry...
We celebrate because we have enjoyed and are lucky to survive a year. Also, they say that if you start something new with happiness, it ends with happiness. So, i guess, since people get happy on their birthdays because they want to pass the next year happily. That been said, i turn to the topic, is wishing at midnight sane?

In my view, most of the wishes one get on his birthday are not genuine. People just complete the formality to wish each other. That being the icing of the cake, and doing it at midnight in quest to do it before any of the other friends is like the big cherry on the top of the cake. It sure makes is look beautiful, but only a handful of people are happy to eat it.  
Wishing at midnight may create inconvenience to the person you are wishing. Suppose, the person is not
accustomed to be awake at midnight. Now because every body gets "hurt" if you won't reply them, so... what you do is stay awake till midnight to reply to all the messages you get.
The next day, these people also show-off to each other that i wished the guy before you (not everybody do that though). They say that this is the 'proof' that i am a better friend of his than you.
ridiculous...
What you prove is that you have no feelings for the poor guy but are focused on getting yourself some reputation. I ask you, what is the problem is you wish the guy in the evening, or the afternoon??
If your feelings are genuine, what time you wish at does not matter. Not everybody was born at midnight were they. unless you are wishing Harry Potter (who was born at midnight), this makes no sense at all.
And those who do wish at midnight, demand that they should be wished at midnight too. You cant force someone. But the, the poor guy thinks that he wished me at midnight and if I don't, he sure will say that you are not a good friend.
I just want to say, wishing at midnight is not important, having genuine concern for your friend is what counts. And if you have that, and your friend feel the same for you, I don't even see the use of wishing at all..
I know many will disagree with me.. but this is just how I feel about wishing on birthdays...
(footnote: The poor guy above... thats me.. ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment